Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2003

Re: [sharechat] hydrogen power

From: Robin Benson <rob@hammerheadmedia.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 10:50:40 +0100

Apologies for replying with a bunch of links, but they might give
readers an idea as to how the nuclear energy situation has panned out
in the UK (and where British Energy have been). No energy source is
immune from mismanagement, and appearing to be cheap but coming back to
bite you in the bum -- especially nuclear, which doesn't equate to
cheap in the long term when all costs are considered.

Sellafield customers in trouble
http://www.bellona.no/en/energy/nuclear/sellafield/26509.html

British Energy announces huge losses
http://www.guardian.co.uk/nuclear/article/0,2763,858781,00.html

Nuclear phase out in UK
http://www.bellona.no/en/energy/nuclear/sellafield/28047.html

Gaping hole in British Energy nuclear cleanup fund
http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/19048/newsDate/13-
Dec-2002/story.htm

  "spreading the pain":

British Energy troubles called lesson for Point Lepreau
http://www.energyprobe.org/energyprobe/
index.cfm?DSP=content&ContentID=5334

" ... Renewed public skepticism about official safety assurances is not
the only thing putting the brakes on the MOX program. In the weeks
before the accident, the British newspaper The Independent disclosed
that workers at the British Nuclear Fuel (BNFL) MOX fuel plant at
Sellafield had falsified quality control data for 22 lots of MOX
pellets destined for the Takahama 3 reactor. This revelation was bad
news, especially in light of the fact that a shipment of eight MOX fuel
assemblies manufactured at the same plant was already on its way to the
Takahama 4 reactor. If they were defective, the pellets might cause a
number of problems. ... "
http://www.thebulletin.org/issues/2000/ma00/ma00lyman-dolley.html

Solid gold hits -- substitute "rail" for energy as required ...

British Energy pleads for state bailout

Taxpayers Shoulder British Energy Burden
http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache:bf2hsxGxdzQJ:xtramsn.co.nz/
business/0,,5086-
1960679,00.html+british+nuclear+energy+trouble&hl=en&start=10&lr=lang_da
%7Clang_en%7Clang_sv&ie=UTF-8

Robin