Re: [sharechat] Genesis alternative energy

From: "Hans Van der Voorn" <vandervoorn@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 17:30:34 +1200

For those of you with a deep and unsatisfied desire to delve into the many
and varied options for alternative energy I suggest you try the following
link to New Scientist magazine's website. There are numerous articles
including one on denim solar panels for buildings (seriously!), batteries
that run on bacteria from food scraps, radioactive batteries that last 50
years, a kilometre high tower full of solar panels proposed in Australia,
floating "eggbeater" wind turbines, plankton power and many others.

There was a recent article in the magazine on a deep shaft heat recovery
project in Germany but unfortunately I can't find it on the site. The tenor
of the article was that it could be made to work technically but, as is
often the case, hopelessly uneconomic.

The human race is never short of ideas, and we are not short of energy. It's
merely a question of price and economics.

Happy reading

Hans

http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/tech/techindex.jsp?sub=Transport%20and%20Energy