[sharechat] Genesis reply to snoopy

From: "Duncan MacGregor" <d-m_macgregor@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 17:45:18 +1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)

Snoopy I think It is a cowardly act to rubbish an idea without an explanation, so I had better explain why Jims Idea or merely his thoughts on alternative fuel from plants will never be practical.  Lets suppose Jim cracks it and produces fuel from plants which I do think likely, it is the cost that kills it . We now pay tax on a gallon of fuel, where will that come from?.  We do need the farmland to feed the the populace of the world as it is without trying to add fuel to the equation. Ask your self how much is a gallon of milk  against the price of a gallon of fuel. Real cost take the fuel tax off and add it on to the milk. I do think a cow will produce milk cheaper than Jim will produce fuel from plant material but it lets us work on the feasibility of what we are on about.  There are farms in Scotland that are self sufficient in fuel they let the animals eat the grass produce the milk and the gas is collected from the leftovers to fuel the farm. The greatest source of power is under our noses in water.  The hydrogen in one gallon of water will drive the family car further than a gallon of petrol.  I dont mind If Jim experiments with other peoples money as long as it is not mine on a venture like that.
            CHEERS MACDUNK