Re: [sharechat] tranzrail and westpac by macdunk

From: Robin Benson <rob@hammerheadmedia.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:32:39 +0100

When the rail network in the UK was privatised, the company who was
handed the monopoly, and a healthy annual handout from the government,
was called Railtrack. Having let the rail network become completely run
down since its formation, while paying sizable dividends to
shareholders and even fatter salaries to the fat cats running the show.
Following a few high-profile train crashes which highlighted not only
the poor state of the infrastructure but also a disregard for safety
[1], Railtrack attempted to extort even more from the government. They
basically said "if you don't give us more money, we might collapse, and
that will be hell for you, us, and the voting public". Steven Byers,
the then minister of transport, called their bluff and basically put
Railtrack into receivership. Railtrack had made an excellent job of
complete mismanagement of the network as well as letting it fall into
dangerously poor condition, which is now costing a huge amount of money
to get back up to speed.

Amusingly, a day before the government put Railtrack into
administration, in London, an sports celebrity was apparently running a
seminar about motivation, success, taking control of one's life, taking
risk, etc.. During the seminar he pulled out his mobile, called his
broker and had them buy £30k worth of shares, on the spot, to
illustrate decisiveness, strength and risk-taking. The next day,
Railtrack's newest shareholder, a very red-faced sports celebrity, was
busy giving interviews condemning the government's actions, pointing to
all the poor shareholders who had bought shares in good faith. I'm sure
you get the picture ...

So Railtrack had a poison pill: mum and dad shareholders. Of course,
one could be forgiven for seeing this as part of the Railtrack
strategy. Since the UK government always has one eye on public opinion,
and under extreme pressure from the City, they let the side down and
basically bought out the Railtrack shareholders on very good terms
where they need not have paid a penny. Then, the press got bored with
the Railtrack story and moved on/were told to move on. The shareholders
ran with their cash and stopped being a thorn in the government's side.
The City calmed their criticism down and people's focus moved to the
next story. Railtrack shareholders had it both ways. For years they
sucked the network dry and took the taxpayer for a ride, literally and
financially, knowing full well that if it came to the crunch, there was
a good chance that the government would buckle and cave-in as it
couldn't be seen to be undermining mum and dad.

Robin

[1] One of the more recent crashes was shown to have been caused by
faulty points (points guide trains from one track to another).
Railtrack had been using a number of well-connected high-profile
engineering contractors to do the maintenance, and, surprise surprise,
the paperwork was lacking to the extent that the identity of the
individuals involved in maintaining the points in question, either the
same day or the day before, remains unknown.