Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2003

Re: [sharechat] SARS & Telecom

From: "Richard Hooper" <hoop@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:53:32 +1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)

Forgot to punch-in the website address
oop

-------Original Message-------

Date: Sunday, 27 April 2003 23:47:52
Subject: [sharechat] SARS & Telecom

Interesting statistic on the Stuff web site that 72% of responders think that people should be stopped from entering NZ from badly infected countries. ( me too).
Although I am not paranoid over this latest  viral interspecies leap, a lot of people are.
This brings up the question of how the world ( globally) is going to react to this latest problem in the short/medium term.
Who are going to be winners and losers out of this situation.
I will start with one sector...Telecommunication market.
If people are restricted in travelling due to govt restriction or self restraint . It seems logical that they will communicate digitally rather than in person. With technology advancing rapidly  video conferencing would seem to be a tool, if businesses shy away from sending their staff into infected areas ( who's liable if a staff member gets affected ?)
There is the opportunity here for a whole new growth industry
..Will Telecom gain significantly out of this. I have noticed a good rally in this stock.
Could anyone out there who follows Telecom reply with their expertise here.
Much appreciated
oop