Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2003

Re: [sharechat] Tranz Rail

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:22:39 +1200

Hi hello,

> We all know the implications for a share
> price if a company is "bought out".
>
> What are the implications for the share
> price should a company be "broken up"?

If a company is the broken up, then share price ultimately, should reflect what
the
different pieces are worth to the different buyers of those pieces.   A
starting point might
be to assume that the share price will approach the net tangible asset backing
of the
company.

However, you need to consider whether the asset values as shown on the company
balance sheet are realistic.    Values carried at historical cost are often
conservative.
But if those same assets have in recent years been revalued upwards then they
might
not be realistic.   Conversely assets valued at historic cost, like the rail
network for
example, will be depreciated in line with some accounting formula.   This may
or may not
have any connection with the amount of money that the company needs to spend on
maintenance to keep the track to an acceptable standard.

The other thing that will not be reflected in the NTA is how much money is
needed for
new capital expenditure (new rolling stock for example)  to keep the company in
business.    All this means I would caution you with just taking the NTA figure
published
in the newspaper and saying 'that's it'.

SNOOPY

 --
Message sent by Snoopy
on Pegasus Mail version 4.02