Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2003

Re: [sharechat] anyone got any info on the Feltex 10.25% bonds and subsequent listing?

From: "Michael McGregor" <mikemcgregor@nzoomail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 18:34:39 nzst

>Hi hugh,
>

>> All there is is an unsubstantiated allegation by someone
>> who can type QWERTY that they  are "junk bonds"
>>which I'm pretty sure is rubbish. Feltex are very
>> substantial carpetmakers and the other NZ substantial
>> carpetmaker Cavalier is hardly in the junk bond category.
>>

>I've never understood the term 'junk bonds' to mean that the investment is
no good.  All
>it means is that the level of security is below what you would expect from
a bank deposit.
>A 'junk bond' can still be a good investment
>
>Our mate Warren in the USA is right into buying junk bonds on the secondary
market at
>the moment.  A junk bond might be no good, but alternatively it might be that
the issuer
>of the bonds does not have a suitable credit rating to issue anything else.
  It is possible
>to have a substantial respectable company that issues junk bonds.  A  10.25%
interest
>rate sounds like a junk bond interest rate to me.   But exactly what the risk
is with any
>particular bond issue, like this one,  is something that you will need
>investigate.

>IIRC Feltex ended up in the hands of an Australian conglomerate ( BTR Nylex
?).   But
>once they went off shore I ceased to follow them so that info could be out
of date.

>SNOOPY
>

>--
>Message sent by Snoopy
>on Pegasus Mail version 4.02
>----------------------------------
>"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
>but that still only makes me wrong once."

>To remove yourself from this list, please use the form at
>http://www.sharechat.co.nz/chat/forum/
>

>Snoopy,
              I would want to know what Feltex are intending to do with the
raised funds before I
would buy bonds with an interest rate that high. If they can afford pay out
10.25%, they must be
hoping to make big returns. Big returns usually mean big risks.

Cheers

Mike M

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] Gooner Robin Benson