Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2003

[sharechat] BIL takeover offer for Thistle

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 12:03:23 +1200

The BIL International offer for Thistle Hotels plc is, I think, a
disgraceful document.    For a bit of spice, I think everyone should
have a 'punters' share and BIL International is mine.   However, the
'circular' dated 20th March has me fuming.

The argument for the takeover in a nutshell is that BIL International will
be able to improve their profitability by taking onto the books the
'negative goodwill' of Thistle plc.    In other words the hotel assets are
selling for below book value, so by bringing them onto the books BIL
can book a 'profit' by gradually revaluing these hotels to book value
over time.   Perhaps BIL management might like to reflect that the
reason that Thistle is currently trading below 'book value' is that in
todays market there is no-one willing to pay 'book value' for these
assets.   The process of taking the Thistle assets private might be a
catalyst for ferreting out another buyer (so far it hasn't).   But actually
taking these assets private will do absolutely nothing for the value of
these assets.

Boosting profits by revaluing 'negative goodwill' without finding a buyer
for those assets is IMO deceit.  You can't revalue an asset just
because you think someone ought to pay more for it.  You have to find
someone who will actually pay the revalued amount to make the
revaluation stick.

If Thistle Hotels is removed from the LSX, then this will remove the
largest window of market discipline that is keeping BIL honest.

There is no guarantee that the cash flows from the enlarged BIL will
improve significantly as operating profit from Thistle is expected to be
down this year if indeed there is any.   Furthermore the investment
activities of Thistle, (selling hotels), seems to be striking some
problems and I predict negative cash flow from investing activities at
Thistle this year.   Besides, selling hotels is something that can be
done whether or not Thistle is consolidated within BIL anyway.

In summary, I don't believe that taking on more debt at a time when
interest rates are set to rise is a good thing for the cash strapped BIL..
I intend to vote against this proposal.

SNOOPY

discl: hold BRY

--
Message sent by Snoopy
on Pegasus Mail version 4.02

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] OST Chart Phaedrus