Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2003

Re: [sharechat] GMF

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:13:20 +1200

Hi Learner,

> Hi Snoopy
>
> Do you still have your GMF or have you sold to BPC ? and what are your
> thoughts

Goodman Feilder has been a bit of a roller coaster for me.   About three years
ago I did
a review of all the shares I owned, decided I didn't like the way GMF had
positioned
themselves in the market and decided to quit them when the time was right
(within the
next few years).

Then over the last couple of years the appointment of a new CEO has seen the
company move in a different direction (branded food products) which I liked.
So I
reversed my 'quit at a suitable time' decision and decided GMF would form a
core part of
my on going share portfolio after all.

To be honest, I was rather annoyed at the Burns Philp bid as I had to agree
with the
GMF directors that it was opportunistic.     However, no competing offer has
appeared
and Burns Philp holds over 80% of the shares now.    So I have 'reluctantly'
sent in my
acceptance form this week.

I was a bit worried the acceptance letter might not get to Sydney by 28th March.
I rang Burns Philp today.  They said that if the letter was postmarked by 28th
March it
would still be accepted.   Personally I believe the bid will be extended again
but we will
see.

I say 'reluctantly sold' because if the shares get to the point of being
compulsorily
acquired (and I think there is a very good chance that they will), then I would
get a
cheque in $NZ (because I am registered to a New Zealand address).   But I
wanted to
keep the capital in $A.  If you are an NZer you can only get $NZ if you accept
the offer
by filling in the form.

I have this parallel vision of a person thumbing through the 'Cars For Sale'
section of the
Weekend Paper and seeing an ad for some 'thoroughbred vehicle' (read old
dunger) for
'reluctant sale' at an outrageous price.   Whenever I see an ad like that I
think to myself:

"If that guy is really so 'reluctant to sell', then why is he doing it?"

Well, now I am that 'reluctant seller' animal!   So why am I doing it?   I
certainly don't
think GMF is an old dunger (and I'm not wearing rose tinted glasses).    But I
don't think
it is realistic to hang out for a higher price in the short term, and I want
the $A, so.....

Nevertheless, I harbour a secret hope that the bid for all the shares will
fail, then the
share price will drop back and I will be able to repurchase my shares at a
cheaper price!
But if things go wrong and GMF is 'mopped up',  then there are other good
investment
opportunities out there.

SNOOPY

--