RE: [sharechat] AIR

From: Chris Watson <Chris.Watson@computerland.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:40:09 +1300

No divi

-----Original Message-----
From: tennyson@caverock.net.nz [mailto:tennyson@caverock.net.nz]
Sent: Saturday, 1 March 2003 1:31 a.m.
To: sharechat@sharechat.co.nz
Subject: Re: [sharechat] AIR

Hi hello,

>I'm confused. Why wasn't there a strong market reaction to
>the announcement of AIR's positive profit announcement?
>--
>hello

The sharemarket reflects the future prospects of a company.  Results
are old news which are usually built into the shareprice already.

The headline result was probably slightly better than expected but it
was supported by lower fuel prices than budgeted for (due to the high
$NZ/$US) exchange rate.  In other words should fuel prices turn
around the profitability of Air NZ will deteriorate significantly.
Also the reality of of a war in the gulf might result in a knee jerk
reduction in overseas travel, even if in the medium term we might see
more people headed to NZ as a 'safe haven'.  The medium term prospect
of some alliance with Qantas is a positive as it would in effect mean
Qantas/AirNZ would move into a crushingly dominant market position.

There is no prospect of a dividend payment from AIR in the medium
term and indeed the exact opposite, a call on shareholders to put
more money up, has been signalled.  So there is no reason why a
potential investor in AIR should jump in any time soon, and this is
presupposing that Air NZ is cheap.

At a price of 52c, Air NZ is trading at an equivalent pre goverment
rescue price of around $2.40.  Considering the company still has
serious debt problems and is so vulnerable to escalations in costs
and sudden declines in demand I would say this is a very full price.
Also it is now trading at a price way above its asset backing, which
is almost unheard of for an airline.

You say why wasn't there a strong market reaction to the profit
announcement.  I would say there was.  Air NZ has been treated
far better by the market than Qantas, for example, which in financial
terms is probably the worlds best airline and has announced record
profitability.   So in summary I can't see anything wroing with the
market's treatment of the AIR result.  The problem, I think, is that
you perhaps do not fully appreciate how expensive Air New Zealand is
at today's prices.

SNOOPY

disl: ex-shareholder of AIR

Message posted by Harry Tennyson
 using Pegasus Mail 2.55
I have Word 97 to read attachments

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Snoopy - RBD Ben Dutton