Re: [sharechat] Diversification Theory

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:14:24 +0000

Hi Capitalist,

>A forward from another group regarding the epistemological aspect of
>investing.... Snoopy, Travis, Phaedrus...I know you're out there....

No need to quote the bible to grab our attention....

>There's another flaw with the diversification theory, beyond not
>accounting the value of your time (as Steve pointed out) and related
>to the asymmetric information problem (as noted by Kirez): the
>assumption that correlative/non-correlative relationships are
>invariant and/or linear over time.

Ten points for the first person to translate that last sentence into
English.  Twenty points if you can express the same concept using
longer words.  ;-)

Personally I think diversification is a good way to avoid a
catastrophic and unpredicted loss on one of your investments.  I am
sure that Warren would thoroughly research his investments to the
extent where this wasn't likely.  Nevertheless if the accountants
that put together the balance sheets are lying and the auditors don't
pick it up then even Warren might be caught out.

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."