Re: [sharechat] War against Iraq

From: Robin Benson <rob@hammerheadmedia.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:44:15 +0000

Hi Jefley

You make some interesting points ... might I add a few ...

The current lot in Pakistan is there as the result of a coup, and know
that it's in their interests to restrict popular democracy as much as
possible. Coincidentally, given the current general attitude in
Pakistan, this happens to align quite nicely with the economic and
strategic interests of the West. I'm more concerned about North Korea,
but even then, that looks like a game of hardball between North Korea
and everybody else to me.

I think the White House does realise a lot more than they appear to.
They also understand that in "democracies" like the UK, people marching
for peace or holding anti-war views is one thing, but when it actually
comes to the crunch and voting against a government, other issues seem
to become more important.

Here in the UK, the housing market is well up. Some areas are slowing
down, with prices steady or even falling slightly (especially in the
south-east). Other areas are still moving higher. It appears that a lot
of money has moved out of equities and into property in the past few
years, but it appears that this trend has slowed significantly. Of
course, for the last two years, Brits have agonised over whether the
property market here will crash again, or whether the price rises can
be sustained as long as they level off. Of course, you can find
"professional" advisers on both sides of the coin, swearing that they
know best. Unemployment in the UK just dropped to a record low.
However, so did manufacturing output, with quite a surprising (for
many) move this month by the Bank of England monetary committee
lowering the base-rate of lending 0.25% to 3.75%. I don't think the
current state of equities in the UK, and the economy as a whole, have
too much to do with Middle Eastern money flowing out of the UK. OK,
I'll get to the point :O) ... there are bigger forces at work.

And what about the NZ dollar? If you take profits now, or in a surge
just following a successful military campaign, would you be keeping
your capital in NZ$, or do you think other currencies offer more
stability (or upside)? The A$ is said by some to be quite a bit
undervalued in general.

Best wishes

Robin