[sharechat] TLS Chart Update

From: Phaedrus <Phaedrus@techemail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 16:23:44 -0800 (PST)

MacDunk,
        I'm glad you are beginning to realise that share trading is not easy.
Your post does show, however, that you do not understand some very important
points.
 <<<"We are all doing the same thing - predicting the future of these
companies....">>> No we are not! I have never predicted anything. Snoopy and I
agree that neither of us are able to predict the future. The charts I post are
all totally reactive, not predictive.

<<<"Its noticeable that we are told how great the method is but never the
company">>> Technical analysis studies market action. Fundamental analysis
studies companies. It's good that you have noticed the difference here, but as
I have stated many times, there is no need to exclusively use one method or the
other. I advocate using FA to select companies, and using TA to time entries
and exits. Have you read the book "What works on Wall Street"? The author
(James P. O'Shaughnessy) found that strategies combining value and momentum
work superbly, outperforming either of these approaches used alone. There is no
need whatsoever to limit yourself to one or the other.

  <<<"...I know most of SNOOPIES selections and I would say he would know most
of mine">>> I neither know nor care what stocks you and Snoopy hold.

 <<<"In contrast the people spouting forth all this complicated jargon never
give an insight to what there hand looks like.">>> Nonsense. If you look very,
very carefully at the charts I post, you will see that many of them show
Buy/Sell signals. Do you think I am holding WHS or TLS right now, for example?
Do you think I am holding FBU? How much insight do you want? In any case, I
believe the stocks that I hold should be a matter of total indifference to you.
 I'm saddened that you see my posts as "spouting off". I would have hoped they
were seen more as a sharing of ideas, perhaps illustrating methods that some
are unfamiliar with.

 <<<"If you want to convince me ... tell me the future.">>>  I don't care
whether I convince you or not. Just as well, really, since I can't predict the
future.

<<<"The negative person will always rear there ugly head....">>> There is
nothing inherently ugly in negativity. It may be well founded. It's hard to
know what you are referring to here, but could it be the bearish charts I have
posted on stocks like TLS, WHS, etc? The charts simply illustrate what the
market thinks of these stocks. I don't even have an opinion!

<<<"I would be interested in a PHAEDRUS VERSUS TRAVIS predictions for a three
month period. To show that Its not a silly game and I really am interested I
will donate a bottle of whisky to the winner.">>>
Duncan, it would take a lot more than a bottle of whisky to show this is not a
silly game. For a start, I would be astonished if Travis would even entertain
the idea, especially over a period as short as that. But, let's say we both
indulged you, and at three months, my portfolio was worth more. Have I "won"?
Of course not - his objectives are much longer term than that. Again, if I am
ahead at three months, but have run much higher risks in the process, have I
"won". You tell me. What if I am ahead at three months, but behind at three
years? You must learn to appreciate that stockmarket investment is not about
contests, winning, losing, being right or wrong. It is about finding an
approach that suits you, your individual circumstances, your aims and
aspirations. Travis is doing things his way, I am doing things my way. We have
different aims, different personalities, different methods. In some markets his
methods would outperform mine, and vice versa. There is no right/wrong
winner/loser dichotomy here. Get it?
 Your challenge is to find the method(s) that best suit you and your current
circumstances.

     Regards,
                Phaedrus.