Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2003

Re: [sharechat] Capital Notes

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:29:10 +0000

Hi Bill

>Good advice to Pat. Excellent.
>
>Do Local Bodies still issue something similar?

I see Pat has already answered this question (yes).

>Govt Bonds are you liable for tax if you sell
>for more than you payed?

Yes.   Of course the upside of this is that if you sell a bond for
less than you paid for it that difference comes off your income, thus
reducing your income tax.  I quote from page 44 of the IR3 individual
return guide for 2002.

"SALE OR MATURITY OF FINANCIAL ARRANGEMENTS"

"You must do a 'wash up' calculation known as a base price
adjustment, when a financial arrangement (in this case a bond) is
sold remitted or transferred.  The calculation ensures that the total
gains or losses from the financial arrangement are brought to
account.  This applies in every case- you don't have to be in the
business of buying or selling financial arrangement, or have bought
them for the purpose of resale, as you would with shares."

"When calculating the income and expenditure on sale you can use the
sale or disposal of financial arrangements ( IR 3K ) form."

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55