Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2003

Re: [sharechat] rest brands by Macdunk

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 23:46:08 +0000

Hi Macdunk,

>what is the matter with Rest brands

Nothing in my book.

>The sell  and  lease  back  of  51  kfc  outlets  to  buy
> 51  pizza  stores  in  Aus  put  me  clean  off  buying  in.

Well I liked it.  Sell the property while you have investors
clamouring to buy in (sell high).  Then buy a business that has taken
a thumping in the market, at the bottom of the business cycle (buy
low).  It is true that the pizza market in Victoria (for Pizza Hut)
is far from recovered since RBD bought in.   But it was never going
to happen overnight.

>I thought at the time how stupid.  that works real
> good when things are on the up and up but look out when
> its not.

But Collier and co aren't just sitting back waiting for things to
happen in Australia.  They aren't trend followers, relying solely on
market momentum to lift the business.  They have an active management
plan in place.

>My first exp of a pizza  was  in  oz. the guy
> making the pizza was spinning the dough above his head
>with great excitement from the customers.  It was a cool
>place place to take a chick without costing the earth.  My
>last  exp  was  in  nz  where  I took my  loved  one  for  a
>pizza.   We didnt get a pizza we ended  up  with  a  great
>scone  with  melter  cheese  and  tomato paste.  Im  afraid  the
>service didnt act as a teaser for the stallion like it
>did in oz or perhaps it's only me.   They need to get
>the  image right for the younger generation before they do
>anymore expanding.

I think you have the wrong idea about Pizza Hut, Macdunk.  Like
it or not they are the pizza establishment, so they will never be
cool.  As for some guy spinning dough, to give the place some style,
that race is already lost.  That is why Collier is closing Pizza Hut
dine in Restaurants all around the country and not hiring Italian
showmen.  Pizza Hut sells to Moms and Dads who want a good meal at a
good price.  Those seeking a great meal with a bit of novelty will go
elsewhere, and already do.

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."