Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2002

[sharechat] Relative Momentum Index

From: Phaedrus <Phaedrus@techemail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 14:40:53 -0800 (PST)

Phyllis,
        I find that the MetaStock default values of 20/5 work very well for
this particular indicator, so I almost always use them. In the charts that I
have posted, the only exception that I can find is a chart of WAM I posted some
time back, in which I used optimised periods. (26/5)
 I make a conscious effort to use default values as much as possible in my
posted charts to avoid charges of curve-fitting. For myself, I often backtest
indicators and use parameters optimised for specific stocks. Also, some
indicators are too active for me, giving too many signals for my preferred
level of trading activity. I often increase the period used, thus "detuning" or
"desensitising" the indicator to make it better suited to my needs. I do not
have the reverence for the MetaStock default values that some people have!

    Regards,
             Phaedrus.