Re: [sharechat] Setting Stops

From: "Mr Nua" <mr_nua@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 18:24:36 +1200

He Trader100,

The problem you are having is common among traders.

The best way to combat the intraday movement is to wait for the share to
close below your stop. A sell order can be placed with your broker the next

This is especially important when thinking of selling around support levels,
where traders are often taken out by hammer patterns and the like (This is
particularly frustrating - being taken out by a bullish pattern).

Around support or trendlines, I will wait for a close below the stop and
sell if it falls further the next day. With quick movers, I'll use an
trailing stop (sell as soon as it is hit) as it's likely they come down as
quick as they go up

Vijay (and Elder) are correct when adjusting the stop to suite the stock.
For some shares, the stop should be tight, for others (esp nice uptrenders)
a looser stop works better. I guess it depends on your strategy, risk
profile and the type of share.

I prefer trigger stops (sell if it falls below this level), but I have
friends who wait for the stop to be hit, and then just use a market or limit

Hope this helps,