Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2002

Re: [sharechat] My experience with T.A

From: "Phil Eriksen" <phil@acepay.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 13:44:11 +1200

Hi Nick,

However, in discussing the problems with applying TA in real life you said :-

>On the side of TA i have to say that it is probably possible to make a living from it, however it would need iron will power, 100% >focus an ability to be 100% focused and a willingness to make it the central part of life and an ability to keep this up year in year >out.

Ironically, I believe you, better than most of the people who write books about Buffett, have summarised (while discussing TA!) the reasons he has been so successful, for so long.  Iron will power.  100% focus.  A willingness to make it the central part of life.  An ability to keep this up year in year out.

I don't think Buffett style "buy and hold" is the antidote to an unsuccessful foray into TA, just like TA wasn't the antidote to massive losses from people who "bought and held" overvalued technology shares and refused to sell them into what was quite obviously a massive bubble.

I suspect the key reasons Buffett has been successful, apart from obvious intelligence, and no doubt some good luck along the way, are as you have stated above - 100% focus, a willingness to make it a central part of life, and the ability to keep it up year in and year out.  To that I would add, a genuine love for the process of making money, running businesses and observing the successes and mistakes of others.

It isn't about choosing TA or "buy and hold", buying the t-shirt and expecting the same results as those who excel at either pursuit.  Let's say I want to get better at golf.  I watch videos of Tiger Woods, and work out seven things that he does.  I change my name to something exotic in worship of my hero (Lion Tree?) and, every couple of months, practice the seven things I have learnt from Tiger Woods.  What would the result be?

I might get a little bit better, having learnt a couple basics (I really suck at golf) but I'd never be the next Tiger Woods.  Why?  Because while I'm hacking around, happy that i've learnt "the system", the *real* Tiger Woods is probably at a driving range, practising the same things he has done ten million times before. When I get bored after 20 minutes, he'll still be there.  Probably all day.  Just like Buffett doesn't need any more money, Woods doesn't need to get better at golf.  But I bet he doesn't think that.

Thinking that there is *any* sort of investment system that will give you the long term results achieved by the very best is like thinking there is a golf, or tennis, or rugby "system" that will give you the results achieved by the very best.  If you analyse very successful business people, or sportspeople, you will always find a "system", something you can do in 20 minutes to feel better about yourself.  But, in truth, are these people successful because of a system, or is their unique system really just a product of their 100% focus, persistence and dedication?  The end result of how they do things?  Can you make their unique system work, for you, without also adopting their 100% focus, persistence and dedication?  I don't think so.

I can fully understand why somebody wouldn't want to be 100% focussed on investing, wouldn't want it to be a central part of their life, and wouldn't want to maintain this intensity until the day they die.  However, it isn't realistic to expect the results achieved by those who *live* the above, even if you follow their "system" for the 20 minutes a week you devote to the pursuit that is their 24 hour a day obsession.

If you do not have a natural passion for investing, do not wish to have it on your mind constantly, do not want to be dedicated, indefinitely, to educate yourself futher and strive higher, just for the heck of it, is the answer really to find your next system?(sounds like Buffett is back in vogue with you). If you have other things you enjoy more than business and investments, why not simply spend your time on them, and leave your money in, say, index funds or something?

Cheers,
Phil