Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2002

Re: [sharechat] connexionz

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:03:45 +0000

Hi mvanv,

>has anyone got any thoughts about this company
>seems like a good idea
>not so sure about forecast earning

I haven't studied this company in a financial sense, but I am happy
to offer 'my consumer on the ground' view.  The principal show-piece
for the 'connexionz' technology is the 'Bus Exchange' centre in
Christchurch.  There are large electronic boards up that give you a
countdown time before the next bus arrives to depart to any
destination you want to go.

Here it works very well.  Particularly where you have traffic
congestion the buses that move across town do have trouble adhering
to timetables and this is just the sort of back up information you
need to have confidence in the public transport system.  I'm not sure
how far the expansion plans for Christchurch go.   The system is
installed at the Christchurch Airport but I have seen it down on one
of the critical occasions I wanted to use it!  My fear would be that
any serious expansion of the customer display units to bus stops
might be threatened by vandalism.  Perhaps to get around this the
sort of thing there could be an opportunity for a patnership
arrangement with the new generation of cell phones.  In other words,
dial a number and see exactly how far away the next bus is.

There is competition.  I believe there are overseas outfits marketing
 similar packages.   This can be both a good  (raises the awareness
of such systems worldwide) and a bad (it means you must overcome the
competition) thing.   And just because a package is technically
successful, it doesn't mean it will be financially successful.  Also
it always seems to take longer for people to adopt such technology
than the gung ho founders of such things think ( for example Mooring
Systems ).  Nevertheless I wish this float well.

I won't be investing in it, but that is because I have a policy of
not investing in start ups at all, not because of any lack of
confidence in the company or its people.  It is certainly one of
those shares that I will be keeping an eye on.  HTH

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Q: If you call a dog tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?"
"A: Four.  Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."