Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2002

Re: [sharechat] GMF

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 18:11:17 +0000

Hi Phaedrus,

Well, wasn't it you that said all trends end eventually (or words to
that effect).  This one has been steaming along upwards for over a
year, which I guess goes to show that if you look hard enough there
are shares in uptrends even if the market overall is in a downtrend.

I guess my remarks may have been a little cryptic in my earlier post.
I had in my mind that if it was the 'old' Goodman Fielder I might be
looking at selling out.  However, if you look at the fundamentals
(sorry to mention the 'f' word) I think things are changing.  If GMF
can indeed break out of the 'commodity' food business then perhaps
this uptrend may be sustained for quite a bit longer.  Very easy to
say I know, but rather more difficult to do with the troops on the
ground.  Personally I think new CEO Tom Park is on the right track.
So I am no longer in any mind to sell GMF until I see more of what he
can deliver.

Thanks for the chart by the way.  I think a lot of the uptrend can be
explained by the fact that GMF is having a share buyback on market
at the moment.   I always like these, as it is a good way of shaking
out the weak sellers.  However, the buyback won't go on forever, and
it will be interesting to see if Park has some as yet unspoken
rapid expansion plan for the remaining businesses.   He might
even start looking at acquiring some dubious business that would
cause the share price to pike.   Hence my suggestion that GMF should
be 'watched'.  I guess I am suggesting that this might be a case of
looking at the fundamentals to determine the likely direction of
future trends.  Interesting times for GMF!

Snoopy

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Q: If you call a dog tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?"
"A: Four.  Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."