Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2002

[sharechat] Diversification?

From: Jefley Aitken <jefley@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 14:07:02 +1200

Hello Phaedrus
another stunning contribution, many thanks.
i've noticed that my portfolio has lacked the market's volatility over the
last 6 weeks.  overall, about 2% down, mainly because it only took about
half the big hits, but then, it missed most of the rises too.  i've figured
that this was because about 30% of my portfolio is in kip and pfi (property
sector), with other chunks in nzr and fbu, whose downtrend has one of the
more modest gradients, and which has a fairly sturdy resistance level
~$2.70.

some time back, i decided that defensive and hi yield stocks were easiest
on my nerves, and it seems to be paying off -- at the moment!
i haven't actually called up charts for the utilities, food-booze, and
property sectors, (i've never figured out how to arrange side-by-side
comparisons), but I 'predict' that their downtrends would be shallower, and
that their current price  will more closely hug the trendline than some of
those you have shown.

I also wonder if the high-yield stocks are more resilient as a group than
the overall market.  While i'm hesitant to ask you for more contributions,
i'd love to see a chart of the nzse40, the dow, and the footsie alongside
such a panorama of charts.  i find the gradients of the trendlines
fascinating...

cheers, and best wishes to you, jefley.

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] New NBR articles online now Will Bryant