Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2002

Re: [sharechat] Money

From: "Mr Nua" <mr_nua@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 12:58:59 +1200

Winner69,

As a trader I have a curious bent on the gain/loss argument. I believe that a gain is complete upon the selling of shares - but I do not believe in the "loss is not a loss until you sell the share" train of thought.

This may not seem consistent, but is by far and away (for me) the safest way to trade.

I personally know an investor who had $50,000 in a share (Australian) trading  at 0.50c late 1999. That $50k was worth just over $600,000 in March 2001. That $50k is now worth $1500.

His gain wasn't a gain, but I think his loss is well and truly a loss.

For me, a gain is a gain once the money is back in the trading account, but a loss starts once a share is trading at less than what you paid for it. Investors will undoubtedly disagree, but most successful traders will recognise the logic.

Nua

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Need some help Allan Potts