Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2002

Re: [sharechat]

From: "Lindley Smith" <lindleysmith@bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:02:22 +0100

I reckon we probably have to wait for 10yrs of non-performance in the
markets to get rid of all the individuals that have jumped into the mkt in
the last 10yrs and have unrealistic expectations about mkt performance, eg.
apparently many expect 20%pa returns forever.

Re your other points.

My recollection of the multiplier is that banks can lend out the money I
give them on deposit, but it is a bit hard for them to lend out more money
than I give them. I think you probably mean a multiple of the shareholders
funds, often it's 10 times plus, but depends on the 'bank'.

Static web pages, who uses them? What value would you put on Sharechat? I
guess the bosses at Sharechat may use your analysis when they negotiate
their staffs next pay increase (decrease in you opinion?). The age of the
s/w doesn't matter, much of the banking s/w in NZ is 30-40 years old.

Telecom may be in for asset writedowns, but the news stories seem to focus
more on AAPT than their copper. Cell phones use the airwaves and the price
of that is more than using copper so I can't see any writedowns to copper
coming until the cost of cell phones drops to the same level.