Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2002

Re: [sharechat] avoiding insolvency

From: "John Wedde" <John.Wedde@weltec.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 10:08:38 +1200

Hi Shaun,

Insolvency is brought about by creditors demanding payment of
outstanding debts when these cannot be paid.

If the Proprietorship Ratio [ratio of Shareholders funds to total
funds] is low, say under 50%, the situation needs watching. Under 20%,
unless there are special circumstances --- stay away.

More critical perhaps though is an analysis of the ability of the
company to meet current obligations. The Current Ratio [ratio of current
assets to current liabilities] or variations of it, is very important.
If current assets are less than current liabilities, this is a clear
warning sign. If current assets consisted say largely of stock, and
perhaps stuff that had been hanging around for a while and wasn't easy
to sell, and there wasn't a lot of cash in the bank, and all the current
liabilities were short term creditors, some of whom were already getting
impatient ---- this would be a very clear sign of potential doom!

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
John

>>> tennyson@caverock.net.nz Thursday, 18 July 2002 11:32:54 a.m. >>>
Hi Shaun,

> Can anyone recommend a book that covers assesing companies in
> trouble, how to assess their ability/likelihood of trading out of
> financial difficulty? Or websites etc.. Or advice..

Well, you could start with this website ;-).

If it were me, I would be looking at trying to estimate revenues
at the high point of the business cycle.  Superimpose these revenues
on the existing cost structure, calculate a theoretical profit
(and using a suitable P/E ratio, a share price) and you might have a
good idea of the recovery potential.  If you have a profit then you
can work out a share price based on a conservatively low P/E of say 6
to 8.

The other factor you need to put into the equation is the existing
company debt, and need for future capital expenditure.

If the company has never made a profit, then any such hypothesising
is truly theoretical.  If that is the case, then all bets are off.

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Dogs have big tongues, so you can bet they don't
bite them by accident"

This e-mail message has been scanned and cleared by MailMarshal

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] WHere have all the fullas gone.... John Wedde