[sharechat] I have no gold shares! Alternative Strategy for tou

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 12:33:46 +0000

This week it looks like 'sharechat' has become a gold forum, so
I thought it was time for a post from someone that doesn't advocate a
position in gold.

When growth isn't flavour of the month, many daily investment
commentators write maniacally about defensive strategies:  buying US
dollars, buying gold, sit on your cash etc.  But there is another
strategy that gets less headlines which I believe is a superior way
to go for most investors, this being 'value investment'.

Sharebrokers talk around this issue when they make comments like 'now
is the time to move into cyclicals'.   If you classify a share as
either a 'value' share or a 'growth' share then one group will
usually be headed up while the other is headed down and vica versa.

In truth, there is no such simplistic distinction, as all shares have
some growth and value aspects.  In New Zealand we have what is almost
a unique opportunity that is not available in most other OECD
countries.   There is a good range of 'value' shares available that
have dividend yields roughly equivalent to what you would get by
putting your money in the bank.   The fact that the yield of these
shares is so good means there exists a floor through which the
value share price is unlikely to fall.  Yet if you pick carefully,
many of these shares do have a modest ability to grow their profits
out into the future, which eventually means a higher share price to
go with your high yield.

Investing using yield as a basis of value is not a sexy strategy,
nor is it something that Warren Buffett would follow exclusively.  It
is in effect the complete antithesis of the 'Stock Guru Competition'
as potential for share price appreciation as a goal in itself is
ignored.  So how would such a strategy stack up compared to a growth
strategy?   Not too badly at all if my entry in the Stock Guru
competition is anything to go by, for this indeed was the strategy
behind my share picks.

Four of these shares, Telecom, Sky City Entertainment Group,
Restaurant Brands and Contact Energy have dividend yields that
compare very well with bank deposit rates.  These four also have
growth strategies in place.  The fifth, Scott Technology, is
delivering slightly below bank returns but has an historic (as
recently as year 2000 ) dividend yield of 6.8% (based on a $2
share price, including imputation credits) and my belief is that this
will become attainable again as business conditions in the US
improve.

My goal for the year ended 31st March was for a 10% return on this
portfolio over the year.  So far 3 months into this strategy I am up
6.6%, and well on the way to my goal.   I am already ahead of
where I would be if I had left my money in the bank for the whole
year.

So with war a prospect between India and Bangladesh, and Osama Bin
Laden still on the loose, why am I not 'taking profits' and flocking
to gold?

Whatever happens overseas, New Zealanders will still be making phone
calls ( good for TEL ), buying energy ( good for CEN ), buying
takeaway meals ( good for RBD ) and they'll still enjoy having a
flutter ( good for SKC ). Furthermore I can't see the US consumer
suddenly refusing to buy new washing machines and refrigerators (
good for SCT ).   It is true that any war will almost certainly
result in a short sharp shock for all the world's markets, but will
small dairy owners all over the country suddenly be flocking to quit
their businesses because of it?  I don't think so.  Likewise I won't
be quitting any of 'my' businesses - those income portfolio shares.
I don't have to sell them, and I am quite happy to keep the income
rolling in.

Two years out, five years out, I have no idea what the value of gold
will be.  The only thing I do know is that the value of gold will be
based around what other people think. That far out, I'm not
prepared to make that call.  So no investments in gold for me.   I
won't be letting short term media noise cloud my longer term
investment vision.

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Dogs have big tongues, so you can bet they don't
bite them by accident"

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] BCA Chart Update trader 100