Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2002

Re: [sharechat] Telecom and debt in general

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 22:54:52 +0000

Hi Viewpoint,

>Interesting piece by Snoopy on the FIG message board discussing
>whether 'debt is good'. Was this prompted by our recent discussion
>around Telecom?

It was the discussion on Telecom debt that got me to post the summary
to my long running series on debt. yes.  However followers of the
focus investment group will know that what I have said in that does
not apply to Telecom, as Telecom did not pass our initial four
screening criteria.  In other words, Telecom is not a FIG company.

>Some numbers out of the US concerning the high levels of corporate
>debt make sobering reading.
><snip>

There is corporate debt and there is corporate debt.   Some companies
can stand lots of debt.   As I argued in that FIG article, it is
good for them.   Others cannot.  This is why I believe it is
difficult to have a simple 'rule of thumb' on debt.

If you look on the FIG board again you will see another article,
discussing Telstra's debt.  Again Telstra is a large and complex
company so any discussion on Telstra's debt will have to be broken
into several parts.  However, because Telecom NZ is an integral part
of the Australasian market where Telstra operates, there is some
discussion on the Telecom debt too.  Just pointing it out in case any
TEL followers are interested. SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."