Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2002

[sharechat] CHARTING AND PHAEDRUS

From: Phaedrus <Phaedrus@techemail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 19:48:09 -0700 (PDT)

Snoopy,
        Thanks for your careful detailed reply. Predictably, I disagree on many
points.

  "....that depends on where you start your chart". There is only one fair
place to start this comparison - at the start, at listing. However tempting it
is for you (or me!) to select a part of the graph that suits our argument, we
should always look at the full story.

 "I have regarded RBD as an income share, so the share price is irrelevant." It
IS relevant. What use is a 3.4% yield (taxable) if, in gaining it, you have
sustained a capital loss that is not even tax deductable, as in your case? The
figure of 3.4% comes from the Saturday morning Herald - looks small to me. Do
you still regard RBD as an income share?

 After a 70% drop in price since listing, at a time when every one of your
purchases were showing losses ranging from small to catastrophic, you claim  "I
was not concerned. I knew the fundamentals of the business had not changed".
Wow, I admire your equanimity, but doesn't this, at the very least, prove that
market sentiment is more important than fundamentals? Wasn't your confidence in
your stock selection method and/or timing, shaken, just a little bit, by losses
of this magnitude?

 Trading Gains. I get different figures to you. See table below. Assumptions :-
Initial Investment $10,000. Profits re-invested. Brokerage $29.50 per trade.
Dividends excluded. In/Out figures as from your post.

Shares   In   Out      Buy       Sell       Profit      %
11078    90   130    $10,000    $14,372     $4,372    43.7%
10624   135   140    $14,372    $14,844       $472     3.3%
12346   120   213    $14,844    $26,266    $11,422    76.9% (Still Open)

 Accepting that your average entry price is $1.26, the same $10,000 has bought
you 7936 shares, currently worth $16,904. That's $6904 profit versus $16,266.
Less tax = $10,951.

 Your statement that "My results are pretty much line ball with yours, ignoring
dividends, and rather better if you include dividends" is simply not true.

 Dividends. You state "In addition I have collected 30.5c in dividends that you
have mostly missed" Not so. By my calculations, there have been 9 dividend
payments since listing. The Trader as per this example would have received 6 of
them, and on more shares each time than you have had at any point. Hard to
compare, but in any case the amount of money involved either way is not large,
especially in comparison with the capital gains involved. That's why I ignore
dividends. I presume that in your calculations you deducted 33% tax from your
dividends.

 Tax. Never forget that paying tax on profits is only half the equation. All
losses I make are tax-deductable - yours are not. All my costs are deductable,
textbooks, newspapers, journals, courses, phone, Internet etc. A percentage of
rates, power, home maintenance etc. The taxman pays for my PC and software and
upgrades. You have to buy your own, using tax paid dollars.

 Time. Your $6,900 profit has taken 5.5 years in the market. That's $1255 per
year. 12% per annum. Tax free.
 The traders $16,266 profit took 2.4 years in the market. That's $6778 per
year. Over 45% per annum. AFTER TAX. Conclusive? I think so.

 Risk. If you view time in the market as risk (as I do) then the trader has run
appreciably less risk than the longterm holder. Neither has the Trader had to
endure massive drawdowns as the longterm holder has. Neither does he run the
risk of massive drawdowns in the future. The system will pull him out of the
trade before losses become large. Less risk.

 The future. RBD is in a nice uptrend at the moment. No one knows how long this
will last, but we do know that it will end sometime. The Trader has an exit
strategy in place - you do not. From past experience we know that you are
willing to ride out downtrends that erode up to 70% of your capital. No-one
knows how big the next one will be. But we do know that you will wear it, ride
it right to the bottom, no matter what its magnitude. Confident that the
fundamentals of the company have not changed.

Effort. You state "...I haven't had to spend each day for 5 years sweating over
a computer screen while doing it". That is why many longterm traders chose a
200 day moving average. Few trades, and very little monitoring required. Most
of the time you would only have to check once a month or so. When price action
drew nearer the moving average, perhaps once a week. Nearer still, you could
check every day if you wanted to, but with a longterm system like this that is
not strictly necessary.
 Snoopy, do you realise that you have traded more actively with RBD, and spent
more on brokerage (8 transactions) than a longterm "Trader" would have? (5
transactions to date).

 TA system. These assumed results were obtained using the simplest, crudest
most straightforward longterm trading system I could think of. A worst case
scenario. The use of a slightly more sophisticated system gives results that
are appreciably better. If we are going to allow backtesting, optimisation,
stoplosses etc results are better yet again. I was trying to keep this example
as simple as possible, rather than trying to maximise gains.

 You state "I have never said 'buy and hold regardless'. You made that last bit
up. I don't buy 'whatever the price' ".  True, but you HOLD whatever the price.
You hold regardless of 70% of your initial investment being wiped out, for
example.

 Snoopy, I thought I had presented a rather conclusive argument, with regard to
RBD at least. If this does not convince you, I doubt that anything will. We
will just have to agree to differ. At least we each have some understanding of
the others viewpoint. That's something.

      Regards,
                Phaedrus.