Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2002

Re: [sharechat] Keep the balance sheets simple

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 18:53:19 +0000

Hi Ben,

>Here's an interesting article by James Cramer on TheStreet.com
>
>http://www.thestreet.com/funds/smarter_up/10007009.html
>
>In it he predicts that because of several high profile accounting
>related sell-offs, investors are going to move towards companies
>with simple balance sheets that are easy to understand.

I think many New Zealanders learned the downside of companies that
shuffle assets between sub-companies of their own, way back in 1987!

But there are a couple of recent examples of 'complex accounting'
that have have worried me.

The first is Air New Zealand's determination to count their
transactions associated with the purchase of aircraft as 'investing
activities'.   I can't see that these transactions should be "ring
fenced" from the ordinary activity of operating an airline.  I have
no doubt such treatment complies with all the appropriate accounting
standards.  But that doesn't make it feel 'right'.

The second was the somewhat arbitrary (in timing) revaluation of
Auckland International Airports assets.  It kind of wrecks any ROE
performance figures and I am still unclear as to why they had to do
it.

I await other peoples comment on the article with interest. SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."