Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2002

[sharechat] What's Your Favourite Share

From: "Dick O'Connor" <callme_nz@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 22:13:20 +0000

If I may suggest it, what say we talk about success for a while.  How about
each person naming a favourite share (or two or three if that’s what anyone
wishes) and then explaining why it’s so attractive. I’m not talking about
5c shares that might double if they get a northern breeze under their tail,
but quality shares that have made very pleasing investments. What share do
you own that you like the most?

I’ve been clearing out some old files and came across some of the articles
written by the late Adrian Sturman in the Auckland Star around 20 years ago.
People who have come to take an interest in the sharemarket in recent years
are unlikely to know what a good financial writer we once had in Auckland.
(The Herald, unfortunately, avoids like the plague any talk by its staff of
shares as an investment.)

At the end of 1982, Adrian named his 10 top picks for the next year. That
was an extremely difficult time and it was hard to work up enough enthusiasm
to put even $10 into the market. But we followed America into a recovery and
at the end of 1983 his 10 picks had,as a group,  doubled in price. The best
was Progressive (Foodtown) which was up 200%. Said Adrian: “Undisputably our
No 1 growth  stock ….and never too dear.”

This was his favourite stock and he said things like that about it often.
The trouble was that you kept thinking  it had already risen too much and
you had missed the bus. Finally,  however, I took his tip, bought a few
shares,  and made a few dollars, but nothing like what some people would
have made by waking up earlier.

I think we all have a favourite share; one we wouldn’t like to part with,
and one  we are always tempted to buy more of when the price looks right –
something we enjoy owning, an investment that has been satisfyingly
successful.

How about telling us about your favourite? With a bit of luck we could end
up with a very useful list worth keeping an eye on.    What does everyone
think?