Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2001

[sharechat] N Z Oil & Gas

From: Marilyn Munroe <who.c@res.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 23:11:10 +1300

There has been some recent discussion on N Z Oil & Gas's Pike River coal
field.

There is a lot of coal in the world. It is a classic commodity. Steamming
coal, don't invest. My advice for those tempted by investments in steaming
coal is to put their money into fast women & slow horses. At least you will
have fun losing it.

Mining is all about production costs v market prices with exchange rate
fluctuations to manage. Markets, currencies go up & down, production costs
stay pretty much the same. The key question is can the mine still operate if
commodity prices and the exchange rate turn against you. If so good, then you
can sit it out hoping that commodity prices & currencies move in your favour
and clean up big time.

Pike River coal has several things going for it. The coal is high grade
suitable for a veriety of purposes. The coal seam is on a gently rising
incline enabling cost effective hydraulic minning and transport to the stock
pile by a slurry pipeline.

I suspect that the bug bear for this project is transport costs from the
stock pile in the Grey River valley to the ships side. Their proposal to
allow the coal to be carried in overloaded trucks suggests to me that someone
has been ratcheting the transport cost variables to make costs meet profit
objectives.

Boop-boop-de-do Marilyn