Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2001

[sharechat] A Pleasant Dream

From: "Dick O'Connor" <callme_nz@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 23:40:28 +0000

Some time after WHS listed towards the end of 1994  I went along and bought
a copy of Sam Walton’s book My Story to see what an absolutely first-class
retailing company  did.

This is what I read: Wal-Mart listed in Oct, l970 with the shares selling at
$16.50 – 100 cost $1650. Over the next 20 years the company split into two
shares for every one held NINE times so that 100 shares grew to 51,200 by
June, 1990. At that time a share was selling at around  $62 so an initial
$1650 investment had grown to be worth over $3m (and I haven’t got the
faintest idea what it might be worth today).

Curiously enough, the first lot of WHS shares I bought cost very close  to
$1650. Thinking I’d better make an allowance for inflation, I went and
bought another $1650 worth of WHS – it’s kind of pleasant lying in bed on a
rainy night and drifting off to sleep thinking about what to do with the $6m
if WHS really does become the Wal-Mart of the South Pacific.

Some of the remarks made about these shares lately, including the
exceptionally optimistic ones in the US magazine article earlier this year,
make me wonder if I should now go out and buy some more. Unfortunately, in
the daylight, reality has an unpleasant habit of intervening.

Winner69, please ignore what I’m saying here. I think you did quite a good
job of extrapolating  the WHS eps in a quite reasonable way. The price to
pay is the hard part.

The current p/e of  32.9 is high.  Here are the figures for the last few
Decembers:-

00 24
99     22
98 22
97 18.5
96 20
95 16

It is  remarkable that the rating has gone so high at a time when the
company  profits have fallen and it is  predicting another two years before
the Australian bet starts to pay off.The cause is obvious enough  - lower
interest  rates are sending more into the sharemarket and  more people who
have been sold out of Montana and FCL and the like are chasing  the smaller
number of companies we have left to call our own. Whether you can count on
this scenario continuing for the next 10 years is arguable.

There seem to me to be a tendency these days to overlook the fact that there
are two parts  that must be fulfilled before Buffett would make a buy – and
the most important one is price, because if the price isn’t right he just
dosen’t buy, no matter how good the company fundamentals might be. I very
much doubt myself that we have a company in NZ of the right quality and at
the right price to be called a Buffett-type company.

Back in 1972 he bought See’s Candy for $25m when it was at a p/e of six.
More recently it has produced a profit of  $75m a year  - THAT’s a
Buffett-type company. bought at a Buffett-type price.