Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2001

Re: [sharechat] Briscoes

From: "hugh webber" <hugh.webber@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 08:46:56 +1300

Fascinating. On the other hand you could read it as a sign of hope and of
intelligent life. Buffett
avoids IPO's for reasons detailed in, for example Buffettology by Mary Buffet.
Despite some strong
patronage of my broker at J B Were over the year I wasn't even offered any
Briscoes although I must
say I never expressed any interest.
I only participate in sure things e.g. the first tranche of Telstra which paid
for this PC, colour
printer, scanner, Internet hook-up.
I haven't studied Briscoes so I can't really comment other than to say that the
retail field seems
to be somewhat crowded with Briscoes, K Mart, Farmers, Warehouse all elbowing
each other plus some
locally strong department stores and I can't really see strong growth even if
it was a successful
IPO by restricting the share supply. Most IPO's in NZ in recent years have been
failures.
How many shares were typical small investors restricted to?
I should imagine the answer tells us we're really talking about petty cash even
if  Mum, Dad and
the 4 kids participated so the real question is, is Briscoes a good buy after
the IPO went up 42%?
ummm,errrrr,ahhhh.....