Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2001

Re: [sharechat] Cullen airlines

From: "Ben Dutton" <bendutton@sharechat.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:41:56 +1100

Marilyn,

I was thrilled to hear the news, I really was...:-/

Dr Cullen said something that I found quite interesting (as quoted in the
Dominion)...

"Perhaps we are beginning to learn, given the history of rail, Air New
Zealand and a few other things that there are some things it is quite a good
idea for the Government to retain an ownership interest and the private
sector doesn't do everything better."

Why, exactly, is this a good idea?  So the government can keep on pumping
money into a failed business model?  Governments do after all (in good
times) have deep pockets - but the pockets are full of our money.  At least
the private sector acknowledges when a failed business can no longer operate
and takes the appropriate measures.

Oh when will the doctor learn.

As an aside, I recommend checking out this Christopher Byron piece in the NY
Observer on airline bailouts - it's interesting.

http://www.observer.com/pages/story.asp?ID=4886

(Apologies if I've sent it through before).

Best Regards

Ben
Disc. no air nz