Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2001

[sharechat] Fundamental and Technical Analysis

From: "DR" <kat47@bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 14:29:43 +1300

Picked up this and thought it is one of the best commentaries regarding the 'balanced' use of TA with FA.

10:40, Fri 19 Oct 2001
Charting: when a picture is worth a thousand words

Investment skills picked up in the rough and tumble of the marketplace count for a lot, but studying charts can give investors the edge, writes Bernice Cohen.

Over the past few months most investors could be forgiven for feeling rather punch drunk by the heightened volatility that has resulted from the continuous onslaught of dire news. Is this a sensible time to buy? Should we be selling, or just standing aside until the outlook seems clearer? Fundamental analysis is an excellent tool for examining company health and fitness but it doesn't offer much guidance on answering these difficult buy and sell issues.

While I am convinced that investors should study the fundamental features of the companies they plan to buy shares in, a lot of useful information is buried in the charts of share prices and in the benchmark indices for large exchanges, like the UK's FTSE 100 and the US Dow Jones Industrial Average. However, like so many other aspects of investment strategy, investors either loathe or love technical analysis, which covers the regular use of various technical factors occurring in the market, including the use of charts.

At present, numerous commentators are perplexed by what they see as a prolonged period of overvaluation in the US markets. This has raised a predicament for followers of the efficient market hypothesis, which claims that no one can make super profits in the markets except by the laws of averages, because speculators always appear to arbitrage away price anomalies whenever they occur. If the US economy is indeed overvalued, it seems strange that hyperactive hedge fund investors have not emerged in force to pull it down to more realistic levels.

I have always thought the efficient market hypothesis ignores the powerful influences of human behaviour which, to put it mildly, can be highly irrational at times. And nowhere is irrational behaviour more evident than in stock markets. Benjamin Graham, widely reputed to be the father of fundamental analysis, said the market was a 'manic depressive', excessive euphoria one day was followed by deep depression the next.

Technical analysis with its full array of market indicators is precisely designed to study this aspect of the market's performance. It covers a range of different indicators that examine the collective psychology of investors when they act en masse, to assess what is going on now and what conclusions, if any can be drawn from their mass behaviour.

Yet a substantial army of sceptics consider charts and technical indicators as mumbo-jumbo. This may surprise you, but I regard their antagonism as tremendously good news. It means they are perfectly happy to disregard this entire area of market analysis. In fact, their animosity is doubly good news because irrational market behaviour is so ubiquitous. To ignore it in total by discrediting the tools of technical analysis that are specifically designed to study the mass behaviour of market participants, simply makes successful investing even tougher than it already is.

However, for those of us willing to examine the technical indicators, the fewer people there are who stay alert to the complex movements markets make, the better the prospects for large gains, because one fact is crystal clear: the majority of investors are always wrong. Stay with the minority if you want to be with the winning strategy.

Technical analysis will never replace detailed fundamental examination of either any one market or a specific company but that is not its role. What is does reveal is a series of subtle clues about what is going on. The more each clue enforces other clues, the more reliable the insight. We ignore these at our peril. But I'm not keen to try to convince the sceptics, as I think investors should decide these important issues individually. However, investors who follow the charts plus some of the simpler technical indicators are likely to gain a deeper insight than those who ignore these useful signals entirely.

  ©2001 citywire.co.uk
D.

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Peptech ( AX. PTD ) - Progress G Stolwyk