Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2001

[sharechat] FRU

From: Phaedrus <Phaedrus@techemail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:35:59 -0700 (PDT)

Jared,
       Attached is a chart of FRU showing how a medium-term trend trader such
as myself uses trendline breaks to time entries and exits. The next exit will
be when FRU closes below the current trendline.
 <<<< I am greatly intrigued about the nonlinear scale on the plots that I have
seen in your posts. I do know a bit of stats, and about logarithmic scales, but
these plots do not seem to be that either. >>>> The scale I normally use is
semi-log. This simply means that the X axis (Time) is linear, and the Y axis
(Price) is logarithmic. Most of the time a simple linear scale gives an almost
identical graph, but if the Price range covered is high, a log price scale
preserves the linear relationship between price changes of the same percentage.
 <<<< No two (plots) seem the same. Is it a feature of the program that you
use? >>>> The program I use is MetaStock, which gives 9 standard charting
options, and the choice of linear or semi-log scales. My personal preference is
for Candlesticks and semi-log scaling. Many people use Bars. The chart here is
a semi-log Line graph of the Closing prices. This gives a very simple, clear
and uncluttered chart.
<<<< ...does it actually create things that are not there? >>>> No.  Like what,
anyway? These are just price charts, after all. Draw your own using graph
paper, print them from a charting website, enter the data into a spreadsheet
and draw a chart from that - they will all be the same.
 <<<< Do you fit the trend lines manually or does the program do this as well?
can do this automatically. Decide what timeframe you wish to trade in, and draw
your own. Up trendlines should link swing Lows, Down trendlines should link
swing Highs.
    Regards,
             Phaedrus.