Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2001

[sharechat] No Cash?

From: Phaedrus <Phaedrus@techemail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 17:03:53 -0700 (PDT)

  The current situation highlights some of the problems inherent in blindly
following a "Buy and Hold" approach. Many people are forced to sit on the
sidelines at a time when good buying opportunities are presenting themselves,
because they have no money. Why? Because they have no selling strategy in
place. No mechanism whereby they take profits, or limit losses. The worst
aspect of this is not the capital erosion incurred by doggedly holding stocks
through major retracements (though these can be substantial.) The worst aspect
is the loss of opportunity and the frustration of not being able to buy sound
stocks with good fundamentals at bargain prices, through lack of cash.
  Some of you may chose to attribute recent losses to the effects of the WTC
tragedy. The writing was on the wall well before then, as can easily be seen on
individual charts, as well as collectively - shown on the Dow chart below. I
learnt many years ago to pay close attention to USA market movements - not just
because I trade there, but because it is such a major influence on other
markets. I regulate my degree of market exposure by means of simple technical
analysis of appropriate indices. The chart shows what I did, when and why.
                      Phaedrus.