Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2001

Re: Re: [sharechat] Security - growth industry !!

From: <nickkearney@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 0:28:19 +0000

> Jeremy

This is not a reaction from the WTC debacle.  This stuff has been around for
years.

Some countries have trialled retina scans for customs.  Others are using retina
scans for cashflow machine identification.  INstead of a PIN you look into the
machine.  Can you imagine the next wave of kidnappings?

What the WTC situation does is give these people justification for implementing
such devices.  They wait on the sidelines until something like this and the
utilise it to their advantage.

I agree with your sentiments on it but there are bigger forces than us out
there wanting to use this 'technology'.

Cheers

NK

> From: "Jeremy" <jeremy@electrosilk.net>
> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 06:51:53 +0800
> To: <sharechat@sharechat.co.nz>
> Subject: Re: [sharechat] Security - growth industry !!
>
> This is one of the worse outcomes from the whole WTC affair.  The control
>freaks attempting significant erosion of civil liberties and a massive
>increase in government control.  As usual, the innocent suffer.
>
> How do you think it will work ? "Excuse me sir, we do not have a record of
>you on our database, you must be a terrorist" ?  Or "In order to board a
>flight, open a bank account or buy milk at the 7-11 you must first agree to
>provide a sample of your DNA" ?
>
> Thankfully this will not become a widespread reality, as there will be a very
>strong opposition to having your fingerprints stored on file 'just in case',
>or your DNA, or your retinal scan or other biometric data.
>

>   Exploring Technology to Protect Passengers With Fingerprint
>   or Retina Scans
>
>   With more airports interested in security for passengers,
>   many may turn to biometrics companies for solutions.
>   http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/19/nyregion/19TECH.html?todaysheadlines

This is = one of the=20 worse outcomes from the whole WTC affair.  The control freaks = attempting=20 significant erosion of civil liberties and a massive increase in = government=20 control.  As usual, the innocent suffer.

How do = you think it=20 will work ? "Excuse me sir, we do not have a record of you on our = database,=20 you must be a terrorist" ?  Or "In order to board a flight, open a = bank=20 account or buy milk at the 7-11 you must first agree to provide a sample = of your=20 DNA" ?

Thankfully this will=20 not become a widespread reality, as there will be a very strong = opposition to=20 having your fingerprints stored on file 'just in case', or your DNA, or = your=20 retinal scan or other biometric data.

Exploring Technology to Protect Passengers = With=20 Fingerprint
or Retina Scans

With more airports interested in = security for passengers,
many may turn to biometrics companies for=20 solutions.
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/19/nyregion/19TECH.html?todaysheadl= ines=20