Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2001

Re: [sharechat] Portfolio Valuation <Assistance required>

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 23:09:03 +0000

At the risk of stirring the pot the other way, here are my
contrarian views on the answer...

>I need to be able to periodically value my portfolio, typically at
>the end of every week.

Unless you only have one week to live, this seems a bit extreme for
an investors standpoint!

> Currently I invest in a 'seat of my pants' fashion and tend to let
> the culling of dogs from my portfolio drift beyond what is prudent.

So Peter Maiden's little disseration on 'disciplined investing' (part
of the 'Learning to Invest' series) struck a chord with you too huh?

> If I could track the changes in portfolio values, in a spreadsheet
> for example, I would be more aware of those shares which are
> losing.

Maybe, but you wouldn't know why they were losing which means you
wouldn't know where the better park for your money would be either.

If you want to know 'where' you are losing on a weekly basis, why not
just buy the Sunday Paper each week?

> Can any sharechaters recommend an application for this purpose, or
> share their tips and tricks?

Try a pencil and a bit of paper.   Sure it's a bit slower (which will
save you worrying about it and doing it too often) but even a basic
four function calculator will give you the same answer as a
spreadsheet in the end.   And if you are at all familiar with
your investments then 6 months between portfolio rebalancing
should be frequent enough.  Your next task is to find a hill with
some greenery on it and walk to the top.   Much better for you than
staring at a computer screen.  And it is surprising how many
investment conundrums you can sort out in your head on such a trek.
Have a great 'rest of the weekend'. SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Q: If you call a dog tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?"
"A: Four.  Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."