Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2001

[sharechat] Peter and selling

From: "Dick O'Connor" <callme_nz@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 22:51:33 -0000

Peter, Important subject, good article.

One of the things that surprised me was that in an interview with that good
US investment writer John Train, Peter Lynch said at one time that of all
the stock he buys (when he was running the Fidelity Magellan Fund), three
months later he was happy with less than a quarter of them. This was an
extraordinary thing to say for a man who was expert at his job, who worked
very long hours, had Fidelity experts to help him if he needed them, was
welcomed by companies everywhere, and was scrupulous about searching out
best buys. William O'Neil, who went on to found Investors Business Daily,
also went to rare lengths to research what caused shares to rise and then
went through lengthy screening processes before buying. They are still
saying on the paper's web site that about half of share selections turn out
to be unsuccessful.

Other quite famous investors have said much the same thing and have talked
about the need to quickly get rid of losers. I think we have to acknowledge
that if that's what real experts at investing say, we have to accept the
fact that we are going to make mistakes too. Experience teaches all of us
sooner or later that we have to teach ourselves to be good sellers without
any of the psychological hang-ups. Cutting losses and preserving capital is
a major part of investment success.....and your article deals with a most
important point.