Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2001

Re: [sharechat] Technical Analysis

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:24:12 +0000

Hi nick,

>For a number of years i was heavily involved in
>analysing and formulating horse racing systems whilst in the
>uk. I was also part of a MENSA special interst group whose
>specific purpose was backtesting past horseracing results
>with the intention of finding profitable systems.
>    After many hundreds of hours study
>it became obvious that
>it was relatively easy to find systems which would make paper
>profits based on past results, often over many seasons.
>    However when applied to present and future races virtually
>all the systems produced a negative return or at best a small
>profit.

Since you spent hundreds of hours on this project, did you come up
with any conclusions as to why this was the case?

>Apply this to your GPG analysis and we can see it hardly
>suprising that you are able to find a system that beats buy and
>hold. The fact the shares have consistantly risen in value should
>make it even easier.

Perhaps you might wish to rephrase that nick?   If the shares have
consistantly risen (a straight line increase in value with no dips)
the optimum strategy *is* buy and hold!  Any step on and off the
financial escalator would cause you to lose money.  It would be
*impossible* to devise a system that was better!

I would also be interested in knowing why you think it is valid to
compare a negative sum game as in horse racing (where the money out
is always less than the money coming in due to taxes and bookmakers
commissions) with a positive sum game (GPG has increased
total shareholder wealth over the period under consideration).

> If the best that can be managed is a 4% increase over buy and
> hold based on a best case analysys of previous results then
> it might be better to put the shares in the bottom draw and go
> and find a new hobby

4% may not sound a lot.  But if that is the difference between 12%
and 16%, then over five years that makes a 20% difference to your
returns thanks to the effect of compounding.  I wouldn't call a 20%
increase insignificant.  But it would seem that both you and Phaedrus
disagree?  SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."