Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2001

[sharechat] LEARNING TO INVEST>>>Focus Investing Group (1)

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 23:36:12 +0000

Somewhere at an internet cafe in France,  near the front
line.....

Red Baron: Herr von Snoopy, why do I find you here, and what is this
'Sharechat' you are looking at?

Snoopy: Times move on RB.   Who knows, one day there
may be no more jobs for World War One flying aces!  We fight above
the French front for political liberty, yet far too many lose the
fight for financial freedom.  Why settle for a kennel and dog
biscuits, when you could be sitting at a French Cafe sipping a Root
Beer?   The sharemarket, long term, outperforms all other classes of
investment, and what better way to learn than bounce your ideas off
like minded people?  'Sharechat' is where you will find those people!

RB: So how does the 'Focus Investment Group Message Board' fit into
this?  What is the 'Focus Investment Group'?

S: The FIG Message Board is our anytime coffee table.  It's where we
talk about what happened when we rolled up our sleeves and got down
to the nitty gritty, the roots of successful investment, for the long
term.  The Focus Investment Group is made up of anyone who wants to
sit round our table.   Anyone who shares the aims of our little
group.  Anyone who wants to learn.  And especially anyone who wants
to help!

RB: What is "Long Term"?  And what are the aims of this group?

S: We are looking over 3, 5, 7 year (and longer) time horizons.
Remember when we still had share certificates?   If we still had
Share certificates  for FIG companies, you'd  be able to stick them
under your mattress and sleep soundly on them.  We don't want to
*have* to scan the media every day to know when to jump on and off
our investment freight train.   We want to know that if we select the
right companies, then we can leave the management to do their best,
and it will be in our best interests to tag along for the ride.   The
best time to sell out of a FIG company- is never!  It's the best way
to stay on the rails.

RB: Never, is a long time away!

S:  Never is the ideal.  The practice is not quite that.  We have
strict screening criteria.   So none of our FIG companies are
allowed to get fat.   We set up a hurdle course for them to clear,
and they must jump the hurdles every year!

RB: Sip coffee, sleep, screen and jump?  Seems an odd prescription
for successful investment to me!

S: Sit down and take a toast with me RB.  What you have is a "raw
bread" understanding of what we are about.  I'll try and put some jam
on it for you.......(continued)

(Publishing Note:  The  LEARNING TO INVEST series is a concept by
Gerry Stolwyk.   This post has been produced at his invitation)

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Sometimes to see the wood from the trees,
you have to cut down all the trees."

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Goodman Fielder comparison Paul or Julie Browne