Re: [sharechat] Qantas moves on AIR

From: "hugh webber" <hugh.webber@clear.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 07:06:11 +1200

Air N Z is already majority owned overseas - BIL is an overseas
company mostly owned overseas and there has been a flimsy
device whereby an NZ domiciled subsidiary holds the Air N Z
shares. Anyone overseas could get them via the international landing
rights anytime they wanted to.
Nevertheless my prediction is the Qantas takeover bid won't fly on
regulatory/competition grounds. Its a boondoggle dreamt up by
some merchant banker/brokerage touting for business and Qantas
can't lose. Either they get everything or a good chunk or at the least
they majorly disrupt a major competitor.
Interesting that Cushing has stepped aside from both posts - I wonder
if he'll come back....