Re: Re: Re: [sharechat] CLI - Challenger International Ltd

From: "Shares" <secondstep70@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 15:45:46 +1200

An exceprt from The Australian Financial Review - Wednesday 28 February 2001- not sure what to make of it. Any comments?

"...When the company announced a 142 per cent increase in profit in the year to July 2000 some sharemarket analysts thought the result was too good to be true and questioned the way the company applies discount rates on its property portfolio.

It’s a note to clients at the time, Credit Sussie First Boston said it was not comfortable using Challenger’s reported profit as a basis for valuing the company.

But Mr Ireland said yesterday that Challenger’s accounting practises were no different to those of any other life insurance company.

“(CSFB) don’t necessarily agree that’s the way we should do it, but I say these are the life accounting standards that we operate by,” he said."