Re: [sharechat] Aussie taxation

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 16:41:51 +0000

> Does anybody know what the state of play is with the refusal of
> Australia and NZ refusing to recognise each other's imputation tax
> credits?

That is the situation, no change.

>I had thought that there was some kind of agreement in the
> wind to sort this one out.

There is not enough political mileage in it to do anything.

>I am in the tricky position where a
>reasonable chunk of my income will soon be coming in the form of
>Australian dividends, and I am not too keen on the prospect of
>having that income taxed twice under the current system.  How to get
>around it?

The only way around it that I know of (apart from moving to
Australia for tax purposes) is something that would really only be
tenable for 'blue chip' type shares.  Many of these shares have
equivalent warrants which are the option to buy the share at a future
time at a fixed price.   Because the price you must pay in the future
for the share is fixed, the price you pay for the warrant is
variable, as it tracks the actual share price that varies on a day to
day basis.   Built into the share price is the expectation of future
dividends.   Because most of the warrant holders for Australian
shares are based in Australia for tax purposes, this means the
warrants are priced with the effect of imputation credits taken into
account.

Warrants do not pay dividends, so you would have to periodically sell
some to make up for the dividends that you failed to get, should you
have held the head shares.  Nevertheless the price you sell at should
reflect the contribution of the imputation credit.

Of course there are other 'problems' with warrants, the main being
that they are far more volatile than shares, possible reduced
liquidity and the fact you don't get an annual report posted to you
to keep track of your investment.  So personally I wouldn't do it.
Nevertheless if you *must* get around the double taxation of
dividends, I understand that this is a way. SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."