[sharechat] A little mischief-making

From: "Michael Gore" <michgore@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 23:40:41 +1200

Henry Fielding wrote "A History of Tom Jones" I think in the early 1600s.  It's a wonderful book full of jolly asides and amusing anecdotes, one of which I keep thinking of in my head every time I see a reference to people's ulterior motives when praising or shafting companies in this forum.  I wish I could directly quote Fielding's colourful, flowery language but I can't be bothered going through the thick book to find it.  No matter - it goes basically like this.  An Irish thief has robbed a lady of her purse and is making off down the road on horseback. Some distance behind but in hot pursuit are two galant nobleman also on horseback and bent on restoring the lady's honour.  The nobleman ride into a small town whereupon they spy a tavern identified with a large sign "IRISH PUB".  "Ah-ha" says the first nobleman, "We have our man.  He will be inside amongst the protection of his own folk, let us go flush him out."  "Nay, sir" says the second nobleman, "These Irish are full of cunning, he knows we will immediately suspect him of running to the Irish tavern and will instead have chosen to make fast his getaway down the road."  "Oh but I disagree", says the first nobleman, "For if he is, as you say, full of Irish cunning, then surely he will realise that we will dismiss his going to the Irish pub as so obvious that we will think him foolish to do so and not bother to search it, therefore he will retire to the Irish pub." "Nay again sir", says the second nobleman, "For surely then, in his cunning he will realise this also and thus chose to make for the road."  In this way a debate ensues and the thief is lost for the truth is that the Irish thief cannot read and has in fact ridden straight through the town without reading the sign at all.

Go out and buy FFS shares everyone!
Happy investing,  Michael

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] LEARNING TO INVEST: Barriers to sound investment ( 4 ) G Stolwyk