Re: [sharechat] Airline shares

From: Greg <g&jelliott@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 23:25:36 +1200

Thanks Bruce, Snoopy and Peter. Interesting discussion. Air NZ have posted
alot of data (performance results, forecasts, issues, strategy) on their
website. Plus I've just scanned through 800 media articles looking at the
two airlines over the last year. I'm not a 'qualified' analyst, but I
suspect the prognosis may not be as bad as recent media and some
share-houses present. Reminds me of the bad press Apple computer was getting
in 96, as they slid into the red. OK - that may be drawing a long bow, but
my money is still on Air NZ for a quicker and more sustainable recovery than
is predicted. The mechanisms are largely in place (management restructure,
overhaul of engineering practices, fleet replacement, cultural realignment),
plus a number of associated revenue earners (including the P&W JV).

They made mistakes during the transition...OK, I'll be honest - it was a
mess. Leadership vacuum and one of the most difficult trading periods in ten
years. But we are seeing a major change in philosophy from the
McCrea/Cushing era to the Toomey era. There are intangibles here which have
the potential to lift the groups performance (Toomey's more approachable
leadership style and willingness to invest, which may unlock more of the
potential residing within the expanded group). It has taken time (not quick
enough to stop CASA), but the building blocks are being put in place to
unlock the synergies of integration and not only compete, but dominate.
Also, don't discount the influence and cash power of SIA, working from
behind the scenes. The same SIA who owns nearly half of Virgin Blue!

In NZ, I suspect Air NZ will be able to compete with Virgin's no frills, if
and when, using Freedom.  Keeps the backpackers happy - not a money spinner,
but its about dominance. They're already ahead so far. The real battle will
be with Qantas, and for the business customers. At this stage, looks like
Qantas' is mainly focused on main trunk routes, plus some provincials with
Origin. Air NZ has a head start then, and a larger net and will compete
head-on. They could afford to do some minor optimisation on the provincial
routes to sew these up (the SAAB is a reliable work horse on existing routes
but they could do with 2 more, also more ATRs and focus on the shorter main
trunk routes, and focus the Beech 1900s on the short provincial routes).
There is growth potential here. I hope the new 'Ventures' division are
working on this already - the provincials were a bit slow off the mark when
Qantas NZ crashed. Oh, and remember that it was 'Qantas' who crashed!

The real battle in Australia is against Qantas/Impulse (ex), where the
corporate customers are. Hazelton offers valuable routes and schedules.
Toomey's staff will be focused on completing the rationalisation of
management initiatives (IT, downsizing, network planning, marketing -
including some 'rebranding' to rebuild customer confidence and loyalty) and
regain market share.

At the international level, the new groups focus has always been on
Australasia, plus LA which is lucrative. Air NZ pulled out of Europe - those
routes are now covered by code-sharing through the Star Alliance.

This talk about access to London as an offset for allowing Virgin into NZ is
a red herring. Virgin Blue cannot provide any offset to the UK, since it is
an Australian airline. Besides, the UK is not the group's strategic focus -
Australasia is. As a combined group, they have the routes and access to make
this hum, and its a growing market - especially if the similarities noted
between the USA in the 1980s and Japan today prove substantial - watch
Japan!

It would be interesting to re-do Snoopy's analysis again soon (I liked the
analysis, don't know that the loss will be that great, and in any event it
will be the bottom).  Basically, Air NZ were knocked up against the ropes
recently, but they're in this for the long haul, and I believe they are
right now positioning for a good fight. Not to be overlooked.

Disc (hold AIRVB)

Greg Elliott