Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2001

Re: [sharechat] Enza...Derek

From: "Malcolm Eves" <malcolm@easternasset.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:37:54 +1200

I advance a contrarian view about the value of Enza and therefore GPG's
investment. I believe that this investment will turn out to be a nightmare
for GPG as they have failed to recognise the desperate state the pip fruit
industry was in and they thought that they would be able to take (minority)
control and with the monopoly position turn a remarkable profit. They have
misread the export season badly, demanding fruit of a large size and high
colour when the season has produced small fruit and low colour.They will be
very short with their export volume this year and growers have received
desperately low packout yields increasing the certainty that the export
industry will be deregulated. Therefore what's in Enza for GPG/FR Partners?
No more monopoly export control over an industry that has fragmented and
will continue to do so. They will be shown up as out of touch with market
forces and grower needs (money) and may not even return a profit on the very
selected market segment that they targeted.
I believe they are going to lose a lot of their money on the foray into
Enza, this being an industry that they did not understand at all.Certainly
not the bitterness of the growers from years of monopolistic disdain and
waste of growers money and they will be very hard pushed to come out of this
with anything but a loss. GPG will be seen as a company interested in GPG
first, second and third (rightly so) and this is not what this grower
cooperative was about to start with. Some confused growers still believe
that Enza is their cooperative!! but by the time the (small) cheques are
banked there will be no goodwill left for GPG even in the hardest
grower-believers mind. So GPG/FR will own what? The physical assets of Enza
not the market domination for a commodity product. Alternative exporters are
going to show Enza up as a very poor marketer I think. And don't think that
the growers are going to stand by and see those assets sold off for a song
without a fight.
GPG/FR have badly miscalculated in my opinion and the value of this
investment to GPG should be significantly discounted.
How many others are there like this in their portfolio? They got it badly
wrong with Fletchers too.