Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2001

Re: [sharechat] Brierly

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 00:07:29 +0000

>can anyone tell me in plain terms this latest
>Brierley plan

See the featured postings section of the 'Sharechat' main page.
The posting written by 'Snoopy' (who might that be ;-))answers your
question in some detail.

>and what I should do with my 20000 shares At the moment
>I'm thinking of selling and forgetting about the whole
>sorry business  Lucille

That question can't be answered as it depends on your personal
circumstances.   If Brierley were your only share, you might consider
getting out and getting into some sort of investment vehicle that is
better diversified.

But in my view, Brierley still has a place at the speculative
end of a share portfolio.  They are working hard at sorting out their
British Hotel chain and the share price does seem to have a slow and
steady upward momentum.   You really have to ask will it get worse
from here on in.  I've seen it argued that the current share price
reflects the value of their British Hotel chain only and the by
holding on you are getting the rest of the BIL assets for free.  I'm
not sure that now is the time to be selling.

 Lucille, you say you are thinking of selling and you can bet that
you won't be the only one feeling that way.   Taking a contrarian
view, this is a reason not to sell in itself!  If I were you, I'd be
hanging on to see what happens with the British Hotels before I'd
think about quitting.  But I might be tempted to reduce my holding if
the price got to the equivalent of 50c (or $1 after the 2:1 share
consolidation). SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."