Re: Re: Re: [sharechat] Recomendation Buy AFFCO?

From: "Colin Ross" <ceejaynz@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 19:53:38 +1300

Gerry, now you will really get me started..
Not so much hormones, but Antibiotics!!!!!!
The day is not too far distant when we will run out of new Antibiotics. Until now, the Drug Companies have had a good big file of new stuff ready to release as soon as the patents run out on the most recent profit-maker..
That is coming to an end, and antibiotic resistance is more directly related to use for growth-promotion and health prophylaxis by food producers.  Very profitable, but the price is yet to be paid.
The greatest hope on the horizon will lie with genetic modification techniques. we will possibly see a whole new class of drugs or treatments based on that.. However, there is no guarantee.
So, in the meantime, humanity is skating very very close to the abyss.  Cross-species infections ( such as HIV Aids), are an ever present threat.
Think about Ebola virus, and relate it to RCV Rabit killer, and see what would happen to our population if that one got loose ?
Medical and nursing practice is increasingly taking account of infection control at source. Every treatment room is equipped with Surgical gloves in abundance, and a return to the strict hygeine controls which were mandatory in the 30'/40's  are likely to be our best defence in the near future.
They used to call Pneumonia "The Old Mans Friend" - a quiet, and painless death - Antibiotics put an end to that -
Cheers everyone.
Ceejay
PS..  Anyone who would like a good scare ?
Read John Le Carre's latest book "The Constant Gardener"
CJ