Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2000

[sharechat] another pearl for Nick's collection

From: "hugh webber" <hugh.webber@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 16:17:33 +1300

today's Sunday Star Times, C10 'Soaring Kiwi deflates
Fletcher Energy sale'

"With the price of Capstone shares (a US oil company in
which FCL has a stake) at $US30...."

Excuse me, when did Capstone become a US oil coy?
Here was I thinking it developed and made revolutionary
small turbine engines....

I like the quote on C9 'Blindly following the markets is not
an option for serious investors anymore'. (by markets it
means market indexes)....so the momentum investors and
the morons who diversify like mad into buying the index
will now be forced to think for themselves....oh, the pain,
the pain....

So Telecom was about 40% of the market index at the
beginning of the year and 20% at the end; an interesting
prediction might be that TCM is no longer there as we
know it at end 2001 having been forced to break up into
a lot of smaller pieces as the Economist advocates and
even Teresa is beginning to conced in order to raise capital
for more Australian adventures and possibly, dare we say it,
to improve shareholder values.

cheers,
Hugh

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: Re: Re: [sharechat] WORKING AT THE COAL FACE - AIA P Maiden